Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Gawai Celebration At Rumah Anthony Philip

I was invited to celebrate Gawai Dayak at Rumah Anthony Philip at Bawang Asan on May 31. My host was Miss Christina Anthony (above), daughter of Tuai Rumah (Longhouse Headman), Mr. Anthony Philip

Our group of 7 included 2 Editors from United Daily News head office in Miri.

After a welcoming dinner on the Ruai (communal verandah), we waited for a series of competitions to begin.Dozens of trophies and prizes were up for grab in the beauty contest for children, karaoke singing competition,ketupat making competition, the best Tuak (rice wine) competition,Ngajat dancing (traditional dance) competition etc.

In the ketupat making competition, two ladies had a tie of 18 pieces, so to make a quick decision, the judges decided to toss a 20-cent coin. Finally, the one who chose "head" won.

The eight contestants for the "Miss Gawai 2009"

Tuai Rumah Anthony Philip giving away a prize to a winner and his wife (below) presenting a trophy to another winner.



I have many Dayak friends and almost every year I will make it a point to visit some longhouses during Gawai Dayak. This year is more special as I am visiting a new friend and her family. I become acquainted with Miss Christina Anthony (http://i-anakapai.blogspot.com/) through blogging. We used to comment on each other's blog and a few days ago she emailed to invite me to join in their Gawai celebration. Christina comes from a family of educationist. Her father was a former head master, her brother, sister and many uncles, aunties and cousins are all in the teaching profession. Christina herself is now attached to a government secondary school in Bintangor. Rumah Anthony Philip is one of the 8 longhouse communities in Bawang Asan, 30 km away from Sibu.

16 comments:

Bengbeng said...

a wonderful way to celebrate Gawai...

-eiling- said...

Looks like a fun filled day. When I was young, I used to like to collect trophies bit now, certificates are more practical!

Nelson said...

wow, competitions? so nice, a good idea for them to be active, to get together and to keep the tradition alive!

fufu said...

i would like to join next yr =p

Chris AngelicDemon said...

wah!
that's quick. Just came back from the longhouse. Just now we had the 'Ngiling Bidai' ceremony marking the end of the Gawai in our longhouse.

Puteri said...

Nice pics! Would love to visit Chris' longhouse one day.

And btw, it's ketupat, not ketubab.

Philip said...

bengbeng: Ya, we are fortunate here to have so many different races,so many celebrations and festivals.

eiling: Agree with you...certificates are more practical and also more meaningful especially for adults.

Nelson: It is more or less a way of life for the Ibans.

fufu:Welcome...please come to celebrate Gawai Dayak next year.

Chris: Thanks so much for hosting us. We were all very happy and the only disappointment was we were not able to stay longer.

Puteri:Thanks a lot. Mistakes corrected already.So how did you spend your Gawai holidays?

suituapui said...

Wah! Chris looks exactly like her mother!!!...Humph! Went to visit my blogger-friend, never asked me to join hor!!! Sulk! Sulk!

Chris AngelicDemon said...

STP:
Ya meh? Ppl say I look more like my Dad. How?
Haha...

Philip said...

stp: I was told you said the longhouse is too far away and you were not going...so no point for me to invite you again! Haha,I would say Chris looks 50% like father and 50% like mother. Her mum looks more like Chinese.

Chris:Don't you agree that you look 50% like father and 50% like mother?

Chris AngelicDemon said...

Phillip:
I'll settle for that. My mum is of mixed parentage

Anonymous said...

very interesting feature of Iban long house celebration for Gawai, which is very different from Gawai at Bidayuh villages that I visited in Borneo Highlands for past 2 years.

http://www.trekearth.com/members/trekks

================

me said...

very interesting feature of Iban long house celebration for Gawai, which is very different from Gawai at Bidayuh villages that I visited in Borneo Highlands for past 2 years.

http://www.trekearth.com/members/trekks

================

anthony phillip said...

Hai! I am Tuai Rumah Anthony anak Philip @ Phillip, from Bawang Assan, Sibu District, Sarawak. On behalf of my family and my comunity I would like to thank you and you and your group for the visit and for including our activities in your posting. If you don't mind I would like to download some of those pictures on to my blog please.

anthony phillip said...

Hai! I am tuai rumah Anthony anak Philip @ Phillip, Christina's father. On behalf of my longhouse folks and my family I would like to thank you and your group for paying a visit to our longlouse during the Gawai Celeberation. Thanks also for including our activities in your posting. If you don't mind I would like to download some of the pictures on to my blog please. Thanks.

Philip said...

ME:Yes, the Ibans and Bidayuhs are two different peoples, but both have interesting and colourful culture. Thanks for dropping by.

TR Anthony Phillip: Thank you so much TR Anthony Phillip, for hosting our group during the eve of Gawai and also for coming to this blog. Certainly you can download the pictures here.As I told Chris earlier, I will also burn a CD for you all. Please ask Chris to sms or email me your address so that I can send the CD to you.