Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Plucking white hair





I took this series of photos inside an express passenger boat while travelling from Kuala Baram, Miri, to Marudi not long ago.The journey took 2 hours 45 minutes and it was boring.Our Rajang River is more exciting because along the banks there are many longhouses,farms etc to see. I took out my camera,looking and waiting for my "prey". 4 rows infront of me I saw this old Orang Ulu lady (must be a Kayan or Kenyah) plucking white hair for her middle-age daughter.It did not take long for her to find the white hair and pluck them one by one. Lucky that my zoom lenes and camera were fast enough to record this interesting episode.

4 comments:

cc said...

I really enjoy your spontaneous shots. You never seize to amaze me with your snapshots of life. :)

Yan said...

I did that before when I was a teenager, or not even quite yet! They say you are a genius if you had grey hair while young! That was comforting enough for me then at a tender age.

Strangely, as I advanced into 20s and 30s, all the grey(s) just disappeared.

Now, of course, there are plenty, too much to pluck, and with hair counts, I would not pluck anymore! I can cover with rainbow colours! (smile)

-eiling- said...

Wow, you were fast and spontaneous to capture that shot! I used to help my mum pluck a few strands of white hair but definitely not when we're on a boat..haha...

rubberseeds said...

cc: Thank you.That is nothing to compare with your daily beautiful pictures and inspirational writings.

Yan:haha..it is rather abnormal for people our age without grey hair.As a kid I also helped to pluck grey hair of the elders.Modern kids however seldom do that,but if you entice them with a few ringgit, they would oblige!

eiling:I just clicked away...the
D300 is fast!. May be in 20 years' time, your children will pluck white hair for you.