Thursday, July 24, 2008

The story of Pulai

I am still single but already getting excited to having my own family

My neighbour has many children (small trees) already


My name is Pulai, one of the species of Alstonia. If you don't know me, you should know my cousin, the Jelutong (Dyera Costulata), who is much more popular than me.I was just a small seedling when a big flood carried me to this alien place. The strong current had stripped me totally nake and I was also injured on my tiny legs (roots).I thought I couldn't survive. Luckily I was trapped on a vine and managed to hold on until the flood subsided. Then one afternoon a strong wind blew me off the vine and I landed on the ground. There I put my feet on solid ground again after almost a week.I was fortunate also to land on shady ground, a perfect place where I could rest and recover from my injuries. In just a few days I felt power in my legs and they could slowly penetrate into the soft top soil for water and food. My hands (branches)also became strong and leaves started growing on them. They were so cute and beautiful, so soft and tender.The cruel flood was a blessing in disguise. It had left behind a lot of food.I ate like crazy, just wanting to grow up fast and reach for the sky. It wasn't fun to hide under some body's back all the time and couldn't see the sun.Each passing day I grew stronger and taller and one day I finally broke free. I realized I was about 5 feet tall,now standing above almost all the other vines and bushes. As I could now receive sunlight directly, it meant I would grow even faster. One fine day I heard a lot of disturbing sound not too far away. My taller neighbours told me someone was making a long and wide drain behind us to mitigate the flood. For several days I heard screams and cries from my friends who were being chainsawed and pushed to death by the excavators. But I survived again because I was not standing in their path. I am now 12 years old, standing almost 15 meters high with a body diameter of 40 cm. I am still single, living all alone by myself and surrounded by the children and grand children of the vines and bushes who once protected me. My mother once told me long ago that I would one day become a mum too when I reach about 15 years old.One of my neighbours is 10 years older than me and she already has many children.I am so excited now because in 3 years' time I can also produce flowers and fruits and start growing my own children.


8 comments:

cc said...

Another well-written post. Very educational and entertaining to read. :)

p/s: Many thanks for the birthday wishes, I really appreciate that. :)

suituapui said...

Gee! You've grown so thin and tall!!! Quick! Quick! Get married and start producing children!...Trouble is many these days don't want to get married and produce children or even when they get married, they only produce one or two or none at all...so our existence is under threat!!!...Hahahahahahaha!!!!

abana said...

You really know how to get yourself into another dimension of another living kingdom.
Are you among the E.T , CJ7 or Toy story.Heee..heee,heee.

rubberseeds said...

cc:Thanks for your encouraging words.

stp:haha...believe me, once the thin man gets married, his body size will quickly become bigger and rounder.So you must encourage your own children to produce more ....half a dozen for each at least!

abana: I always dream! I prefer to be Photographer so that I can always shoot shoot shoot all kinds of people and all kinds of things.

suituapui said...

I love your new banner. Reminds me of my younger days when my maternal grandma had fruit gardens across the river (including durians and dabai) and we would use boats like that to go there. Sometimes, there were no outboard engines so we had to row...using oars! Those were the days!!!

rubberseeds said...

stp:Any more fruit gardens across the river now? I would like to row the boat together with you...no no, you row the boat and I take photos for you. I will print a big photo for you so that it will keep reminding you of those good old days.

suituapui said...

All sold already lah!...Aiyor! You think these days I can get into a boat, much less row it? Hahahahahahahaha!!!!

rubberseeds said...

stp:you should not only be young at heart ma....must still be strong enough to row the boat and row on the bed...hahaha!!