Look at these amazing work of ants in the tropical rainforests. I would call them "Ant's Architecture". Each has its unique designs and shapes,not easy even for us human to duplicate them. Many ants just build simple homes, but some build strong mound that offers protection from rain, wind and their many predators. Ant mounds consist of many chambers which are used as nurseries,food storage and resting places for worker ants.The chambers are connected by tunnels.
15 interesting facts about ants:
1. Ants have been living on earth for more than 100 million years.
2. There are about 20,000 different species of ants found almost anywhere on the planet.
3. Ants are social insects,living in large colonies.Some colonies consist of millions of ants.
4.There are 3 types of ants in each species, the queen,the sterile female workers and the males.
5.The male ants only serve one purpose,to mate with queen ants. They do not live very long.
6.The queen ants spend their entire adulthood mating and laying eggs.
7. Ants have four stages of development:egg,larva,pupa and adult.
8.Ants have 6 legs. The 3 main parts of the body are the head,trunk and metasoma (rear part).
9.Ants do not have lungs. Oxygen enters through tiny holes all over their body and carbon dioxide leaves throgh the same holes.
10.Ants have no blood vessels. Their heart is a long tube that pumps colourless blood from the head back to the rear.
11.Ants communicate with each other by touching with their antennae. The antennae is also used to smell,taste and hear.
12.Ants self produce a chemical called pheromones to leave scent trials for other ants to follow.
13.Most ants have poison sacks or stingers in the end of the metasoma for defense against their enemies.
14.Ant's eyes are made up of many lenses enabling them to see very well.
15. Ants have been called the earth's most successful species.