Monday, June 9, 2008

Sunrise With Mt. Kinabalu











I was at the foothill of Mt. Kinabalu recenlty and had the opportunity to admire South East Asia's highest mountain during sunrise. The day broke early up in the hills, so I had to be ready by 5.30 am. Thanks to the nice weather otherwise the peak would be covered by the clouds. I went down to a vegetable farm in the valley where I could have an unobstructed view of the western side of the whole mountain. The early morning was so quiet and peaceful. The cool breeze was blowing gently, I was all alone and feeling like in paradise.I stayed for almost 3 hours until the thick clouds moved in to totally swallow up the whole mountain.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never been to Sabah, but I wish I will have an opportunity.

How did you feel at the summit? The tallest place I have been to is Jungfraujoch in Switzerland. I felt not so comfortable because of breathing. When I tried to move fast, I felt like in shortage of air and difficult to breath.

Yan said...

Was there for my honeymoon - Oh dear, almost 22 years. But, it was like only yesterday. The mountain is still there, its beauty remains, but I am growing old...I do not think I would ever climb to the peak again! Sigh, Sigh...

rubberseeds said...

anonymous:You should pay a visit to Sabah. It is very near and you can either go by plane or by road through Brunei or Limbang. I did not climb to the summit because of an earlier injury to my shoulder.Yes, many people experience breathing difficulties because the air is thin in higher altitudes, and it is cold up there.

Yan: Don't quite believe you spent your honeymoon in Sabah! Anyway,I think anyone can reach the summit of Mt. Kinabalu if he/she is physically fit. I saw a group of old Koreans, probably all of them above 65 years old climbing the mountain.A Japanese friend said her 85 year-old grandmother climbed to the summit a few years ago!

Yan said...

Yes I was there for honeymoon - climbing Mt Kinabalu. I told my husband that if we have climbed Mt Kinabalu, the most difficult part of our marriage is over, the rest of the journey will be smooth and flat. Hubby said that would be boring. So, we have been "yawning" for the past almost 22 years :)Anyway, we have an anniversary next month, and have planned for a boring trip, not Mt Kinabalu, definitely.

rubberseeds said...

Yan:Wishing you happy anniversary and do enjoy your up coming "honeymoon" with hubby.