Friday, June 6, 2008

The Aguas (Transvestites) of KK














Every late night the Aguas at Jalan Kampung Ayer in the heart of Kota Kinabalu (KK), the capital of Sabah, give a spectacular free show for all those who happen to stay in the 4 hotels along the street, and also for the patrons of the many restaurants there. I was staying in one of the 4 hotels last week and from the hotel's verandah, I managed to take these pictures to share with you.There must be more than 30 of them who would gather along this busy street usually after 10pm and "work" until dawn.Most of them wear very revealing and sexy clothes and every one is wearing high heels.They would be seen walking up and down the street almost non-stop in their effort to solicit "business" from passing cars.During a 2-hour observation, I only saw 2 of them closing the deal, both were invited into the cars and then driven off. I found out from my taxi driver that most of these Aguas are Malay or other bumiputras, some of them are working in the saloons during the day time. From a distance, they look no different from any woman, actually a few of them are really busty and curvy and look very feminine. As I was lying down on my hotel bed I began to feel sympathetic for these unfortunate people who could not live a normal life. My other unsolved question is why are these people here on this busy street every night....has any law been passed lately to allow them solicitng publicly? Or is the authority using them as a tourism promotion product?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

They must be the illegal immigrants

Anonymous said...

very interesting assignment..urban wildlife photography.he..he..he..good work but i guess you have to stay up late - Abana

rubberseeds said...

Anonymous: Most of them are locals

rubberseeds said...

Abana: Hi Brother,you should have joined us last week.I did'nt stay up very late.Each morning I woke up around 5.30 am to shoot morning scenery of the wharf, waterfront, fish market and the mountains.Very interesting and fruitful trip.

Anonymous said...

These are not well known ladies, else you will be the paparazzi.

The taukays have better be careful in front of the camera.

rubberseeds said...

Anonymous: Thanks for reading my blog and your comment.I think as a Photographer I have to be very alert all the time. I have my own principles and I won't use any photograph that I have taken to blackmail any one.