Saturday, May 24, 2008

Marathon Queen



I had earlier promised to blog more about Ling Mee Eng...the Marathon champion. Yesterday I had the opportunity to see her in her office and I was so astonished with her achievements in long distance running. When I logged in to this blog with her pc to let her see what I had written about her, she immediately pointed out that I have got her name and weight wrong. So I have already edited my earlier entry to correct them.Ling Mee Eng (not Lim Bee Eng) is just 37 kg and not 40 Kg which I earlier estimated. Frankly speaking, I didn't dare or rather felt impolite to ask about her personal details like age, weight, height and whether she is married or not. But she is so approachable and affable that there is absolutely no gap between us although we hardly know each other. Her running history goes like this: She started having interest in running at a very young age of 10. During the course of our conversation, she emphasized many times on INTEREST. She said if without interest in running, one will not carry on in this sport which requires a lot of stamina and determination. Throughout her secondary school years, Mee Eng was involved in the 1500m and 3000m track events and needless to say she was always the champion. She was quickly discovered by the Sibu Marathon Club which encouraged her to join the club and hence a marathon runner was born.The fact that she has countless medals, trophies and certificates bore testimony to her success in marathon running. She proudly disclosed that she has an entire room in her house to keep her winning trophies. Some of her major achievements include winning the first place (Women) in the 1993 Penang Bridge International Marathon with the time of 3 hours 30 minutes. In the same year she represented Malaysia to compete in the Pune International Marathon in India and got 9th place with the time of 3 hours 50 minutes. She was the only female participant from Malaysia for this event. More recently in 2007, she was one of the four participants selected from Malaysia to take part in the EAGA Marathon held in Davao, Southen Philippines. And she emerged the only winner for the Malaysian team, winning the 3rd place. Asked about her secrets to all these successes, she humbly said there are no secrets....you just need to train every day,have a strong determination, perseverance and run smart. Towards the end of our conversation, I finally gathered my courage to ask her about her height and age. From her own mouth: " Err...I am just 146cm and arr..... just write I am in the late 30s lah" One last curiosity I failed to clear directly from her was her marital status. After leaving her office, I called one of her running buddies and he joking said: " she runs too fast, noboday can chase her up yet".

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

=>One last curiosity I failed to clear directly from her was her marital status

before i saw this sentence, i knew that she is single, because you put down miss at the end of 6th line. may be you can remove miss and let the readers guess about it

rubberseeds said...

Good suggestion. I have already removed that word.

-eiling- said...

wah, she's great la. Hey btw, I listened to you, bought the 4D you asked me and didn't win la...

rubberseeds said...

Hi eiling,buy 2 more times. If you have luck you will win.Anyway, it's only a gamble ya.

-eiling- said...

not going to listen to you already... haha, I'm putting all my bet on mega.

rubberseeds said...

Haha...tell me your number, I will continue to buy and will reward you with 10% of the winning if I strike. May be I am more lucky then you!

Anonymous said...

Many years ago, may be close to 30 years now, Sibu had a good long distance runner with the surname Tang. She was also a small tiny person. She represented Sibu Division, and then Sarawak, and then Malaysia(?) in the 400 m and other long distance track events. Is any one aware of that? I knew that her home is some where at Oya Road 4th mile and her father is a barber.

rubberseeds said...

Hi, she is Winnie Tang. I know her personally. Yes, she was an outstanding long distance runner.I just learnt from Ling Mee Eng the other day that Tang's record in the 3000m has still not been broken!

Anonymous said...

haha. We went to the same primary school, and same class most of the time, and after that I am not sure if we were in the same secondary school or different one. Because we were in the same village, so we knew about her participation in sports. May be because I sometimes have had hair cut from her father, that was the source of information. Is this 3000 m record the Sarawak record or Malaysian record?

rubberseeds said...

Anonymous: So you also went to Dung Sang primary school. I don't think you were in the same secondary school as Winnie because she studied in the all-girl school, the St. Elizabeth.I think you are a man otherwise you won't be having hair cut with Winnie's father.I have a few pictures of old Dung Sang school and will blog about it in future.

Anonymous said...

Did you go to Dung Sang? The hill is now gone. The old classrooms are gone. The broken gate is still there and I think it should be preserved.

I hope you will bring back our very nice memories.

rubberseeds said...

Anonymous:I must make a visit to Dung Sang to take photos of that broken gate.Yes, I went to Dung Sang for the whole 7 years of my primary education.We should know each other. I will blog about Dung Sang after I return from the Gawai holidays.