Thursday, February 8, 2007

Rubber seeds


I am very certain that not many of you have seen rubber seeds in your entire life, even for those of you living in Malaysia which is one of the top producers of natural rubber in the world. The other day I picked up a handful of rubber seeds while walking on a small road leading to a rural farm. While stopping to collect these seeds, I became very sentimental....these tiny rubber seeds immediately brought me back to my childhood days. I spent my entire childhood years with my parents and we lived near to rubber estates . In those days toys were either very rare or too luxurious to afford for the rural kids. We had to be contended with whatever natural resources could offer us....rubber seeds were not only our toys, but also our companions, our best friends.There were so many games we could play with rubber seeds. We used to compete with brothers and sisters and also with neighbours...whoever win would get all the rubber seeds as his trophy.I still remember on several occasions Ah Mun, the girl living next door to us cried so loud when she lost all her rubber seeds to me. Rubber seeds were also used as fish baits after their hard shells were removed.We put the seeds inside the fish trap called "Bubu" and when fish were attracted by the aromatic smell of the seeds, they swam into the trap and could not escape. Eels especially loved to eat rubber seeds. At one time, one of our big "bubu" caught 72 eels!

2 comments:

saoirse said...

Wah, it reminds me of my childhood too! Although I live in city but occasionally I visit my uncle in rural. My cousin showed me the seeds before and it was fun to play... Haha...

Yan said...

Yes, yes, yes, I remember those childhood days of collecting and playing with rubber seeds! I also remember the days of collecting latex while the elders tapped the rubber. And at one time, I skipped and fell and the whole bucket of latex collected splashed on my head. Imagine how the hair stuck together?

Those were happy and carefree days. We did not have much. But, joy and fun were plenty!